Finn Smith with parents Jason and Sarah.
Finn Smith with parents Jason and Sarah.

Finn free on the Coast for first time since last year

FINN Smith crawled "up and down and up and down" across the jumping castle, to get to his mum on the other side.

For the first time since being admitted to hospital with bacterial meningococcal in November, Finn was free.

Gently bouncing alongside his grandmother Leona Coureas aka "Yia Yia", Finn made the most of his four-hour pass out of the hospital, making a special appearance at his All in for Finn fundraiser at Novotel Twin Waters Resort yesterday.

"He watched all the kids and once he saw his mother on the other side ... he crawled up and down and up and down to get to her on the other side," Mrs Coureas said.

"That shows you the type he is, he hasn't crawled that far since the operation ... to see him do that was a milestone."

Since being admitted to Royal Children's Hospital in Brisbane, Finn has undergone several amputations to fight against the deadly disease.

He has had his right foot amputated, his left leg below the knee, his right hand and parts of his left hand.

The bandages have now been removed from his right hand and legs and he now wears only socks to cover the scars.

Tomorrow, Finn will go into theatre to check the wound on his left hand.

His parents, Sarah and Jason, are hoping it will be his last visit.


"He's doing really well, he's surprising everyone, even the doctors can't believe how well he's doing," Mr Smith said.

The doctors will also decide, tomorrow, when the family can go home.

"It will be another eight to 12 weeks (before prosthetics are fitted), they've got to let it heal first, before he can put weight on them," Mr Smith said. "But the doctors said we might be able to go home in between, while we're waiting for the surgeons."

While it will only be short trips because of continuous physiotherapy and rehabilitation sessions in Brisbane, Mr and Mrs Smith are just looking forward to being home.

In the meantime, the family is overwhelmed by the support of locals, especially the people who showed up for yesterday's fundraiser.

"It's overwhelming, I feel like I'm going to cry every 10 minutes, I don't know what to say, what to do, just thank you," Mr Smith said.