Kawana hit and run victim's family speaks

'Come forward, my son almost died': Hit and run family plea

MARCOOLA father-of-three Jeremy Clements is putting on a brave face as he recovers from being run over by a driver who did not stop to help.

The 37-year-old's parents, Ken Clements and Fran Sinclair, received a horror call from Jeremy's older brother Steven on Sunday about the hit and run on Kawana Way at Warana.

Jeremy had been struck sometime between 3 and 3.30am that day.

They struggled to get information over the phone from their home on the New South Wales Central Coast.

"We got bits and pieces of information all afternoon including the fact that it was a hit and run and that was just staggering to think that someone could hit him and leave him on the side of the road to die possibly," Ken said.

The earliest flight they could catch was on Monday morning so they were not at Nambour General Hospital when Jeremy underwent surgery on Sunday night to have 60 stitches and staples inserted into his head to keep his scalp together.

Marcoola man Jeremy Clements recuperates in Nambour General Hospital after being hit by a vehicle on Kawana Way at Warana. Photo: Facebook
Marcoola man Jeremy Clements recuperates in Nambour General Hospital after being hit by a vehicle on Kawana Way at Warana. Photo: Facebook Facebook

Ms Sinclair was shocked to see her son in such a badly injured state when they arrived on Monday morning.

His head had been shaved for the extensive surgery and his other injuries included a broken left arm, a fractured skull and fractures to his right leg.

"I didn't expect to walk in and see what I saw," Ms Sinclair said.

Jeremy underwent surgery this afternoon to insert a plate into his broken left arm.

She said he was able to joke despite the seriousness of his injuries.

"The first thing he said to me when we walked in (on Monday), he said 'you wanted me to get a haircut, I've got a haircut, but it's probably too short for you'."

Ken also asked his son yesterday if he remembered anything about who had hit him.

"He said 'I think it was Bronwyn Bishop'.

"So he's got a sense of humour."

Ms Sinclair said her son had been at a buck's party but could not remember anything after getting into a cab.

"All we know is that he (Jeremy) was walking along Kawana Way and a gentleman saw him walking," Ms Sinclair said.

Ken said the man was driving to pick up his daughter from somewhere.

"After he picked her up he was going back the way he had just come from and he saw Jeremy lying on the road in the gutter so he stopped and thankfully, rendered assistance," Ken said.

They both wanted to thank the Good Samaritan.

"The message is words can't describe the debt," Ken said.

"We do believe he saved his life," Ms Sinclair added.

She and her husband implored the person who ran their son over to come forward.

"We'd like somebody to come forward with some information to find out who it was and why he left him," Ms Sinclair said.

"I just can't understand why somebody would leave him."

Ken was direct when addressing the person who ran over his son.

"Just because it's been a little over 72 hours and you haven't had a knock on the door doesn't mean you're off the hook," Ken said.

"They're not going to let it go and you will get caught so it's in your best interests to hand yourself in."

Ms Sinclair said her son, a professional fisherman, had a positive attitude.

"He is going to be alright," Ms Sinclair said.

"It is going to be a bit of a long road for him but he is going to be alright."