UFC fighter wants answers after opponent tests positive
UPDATE 4.50pm: An ASADA spokeswoman said that ASADA is not privy to the facts of this case and has no jurisdiction in this matter.
"As this investigation is still underway, ASADA cannot provide comment at this stage," she said.
UPDATE 9.07am: The Daily Mercury has sought comment from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority regarding this matter.
WHITSUNDAY school teacher and Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter Anton Zafir wants answers after an opponent from a bout last month failed an out-of-competition drug test.
The fight, and its result, is now tarnished, after the UFC broke the news that Mr Zafir's opponent Li Jingliang tested positive to a banned substance in a May 18 test.
The positive test was almost two months before Mr Zafir fought Mr Jingliang at Las Vegas in International Fight Week.
The matter is being investigated by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and the United States Anti-Doping Agency according to a statement released by the UFC on their website.
"The UFC organisation was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that it has informed Li Jingliang of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection on May 18, 2016.
"Because of this investigation, USADA has not issued a provisional suspension against Jingliang at this time."
Mr Jingliang tested positive for clenbuterol.
Mr Zafir said he had been left frustrated and "sick of the excuses from athletes doing the wrong thing".
"Supposedly, China uses clenbuterol in the meat," he said.
"If that is the case, as an elite athlete it is your responsibility to avoid this. You have to go out of your way to make sure (it) is clean."
Mr Zafir wants to know why it has taken four months for the results to be released.
"Surely they would have had the (drug test) results before the fight," he said.
"Some athletes' results are released like a week after the fight. My guy (Mr Jingliang) tested positive over two months before we fought. It just seems weird.
"Supposedly he passed an in-fight competition test as well," he said.
"I'm not saying the result may have changed, but I am getting sick of PED use in our sport."
Mr Zafir said another Chinese fighter also had been caught earlier this month for failing a USADA test.
The Daily Mercury sought comment from the NSC. however, the NSC has refused to comment due to Mr Jingliang's case being a pending matter.