Bundaberg Court House.
Bundaberg Court House. Brian Cassidy

Man accused of Bundy stabbing to be handed to border force

A MAN charged with attempted murder and unlawfully wounding another has been granted bail.

But this bail application was not approved in the "original" sense.

Jinnawat Yusuk, who in January was accused of stabbing a 38-year-old man at a North Bundaberg residence, yesterday appeared via video link in Bundaberg Magistrates Court.

And instead of defence lawyer Martin Longhurst showing cause as to why Yusuk should be released into the community, he said the bail would allow Australian Border Force to interview and assess Yusuk's suitability for bail into an immigration detention facility.

Yusuk, a Thai national, is currently in Australia illegally.

If Yusuk is found suitable for bail by Australian Border Force, he would be transported to an immigration detention facility until his next court date, and not remain in custody at the Maryborough Correctional Centre.

"... if he (Yusuk) is still remanded in custody, they (Australian Border Force) won't take action until he is released on bail or by way of sentence," Mr Longhurst said.

But if Yusuk's condition of bail wasn't satisfied by Border Force, he would remain in custody at Maryborough until his next court appearance.

Mr Longhurst said giving Yusuk the chance to be moved to an immigration detention facility would benefit him, as he doesn't speak English and has no ability to contact his family in Thailand.

He said there had also been considerable confusion in confirming facts with translators who were speaking with both Queensland Police and Yusuk.

Mr Longhurst said Yusuk was currently experiencing "severe hardship" and isolation in the Maryborough facility.

Magistrate Gary Finger said it was strange to grant bail only for the accused to be remanded back into custody.

"... It's simply a change of custodial handling," Mr Longhurst explained.

"Custody in one form or another is the same in the eyes of the law."

If Australian Border Force deem Yusuk suitable for immigration detention, he'll be granted bail.

Yusuk will reappear in Bundaberg Magistrates court on April 11.