UPDATE 4.45PM: The wife of a man shot dead by police on the Southern Downs had rung authorities hysterical for help after a firearm was discharged on the property, it can be revealed.

Freestone man Russell Winks, 65, was killed after he threatened responding police with a firearms after a tense stand-off on Thursday.

His death has rocked the rural community which has remembered the former financial advisor as a "considerate and a good person".

"It's just so hard to believe - you never heard of any trouble out there, ever," a shocked nearby neighbour said.

"When he came to the area a few years ago he introduced himself and said he was retired and building a house.

"Even if he was going to light a fire, he would call up and let you know so you weren't worried.

"He was just considerate and a good person.

"I would see him at the bus stop with his young granddaughter and he would always wave to me and smile.

"He seemed so happy. You just wonder, 'What happened? Where did it go wrong?'"

Mr Winks was shot in the chest after an hour-long search of his Charleys Gully Rd property about 5.20pm.

Darling Downs police Superintendent Mark Kelly said Mr Winks' family and the officers involved in the critical incident were being supported by the service.

WARWICK SHOOTING: How the situation unfolded

2.30PM: The identity of a man shot dead by police during a stand-off on a rural property outside Warwick has been revealed.

Police confirmed the man who died after being shot by responding officers at the Charleys Gully Rd property at Freestone was local man Russell Winks.

Mr Winks, 65, is believed to have threatened officers with a rifle after an hour-long search of the rural property.

He was fatally wounded despite best efforts of police to save his life following the incident.

Freestone man Russell Winks, 65.
Freestone man Russell Winks, 65. Jonno Colfs

11.30AM: Two police officers fired their service weapons after negotiations with an armed man on a rural property failed, it has been revealed.

Eleven officers responded to reports a man, 65, discharged a firearm at a Charleys Gully Rd property at Freestone, outside Warwick, about 4.20pm.

Darling Downs Superintendent Mark Kelly said the officers searched the property for about an hour when a man, armed with a rifle, emerged from the scrub and threatened officers.

Supt. Kelly said police tried to negotiate with the man who threatened two officers with the rifle before he was shot.

Man shot dead by police :
Man shot dead by police :

"Police immediately commenced CPR and first aid until the Queensland Ambulance arrived but sadly the man passed away."

He would not be drawn on whether the man was known to police before the fatal shooting unfolded, adding it would be inappropriate to comment on how long people tried to negotiate with him.

"All the event and circumstances will ultimately be determined by the State Coroner," he said.

He said the officers involved in the incident were both veterans of the force and were stationed at Warwick police.

"We know two service weapons were discharged," he said.

"A full scientific examination will be conducted to determined what exactly happened."

Darling Downs Police Superintendant Mark Kelly address the media in relation to a fatal police shooting at Freestone, outside Warwick.
Darling Downs Police Superintendant Mark Kelly address the media in relation to a fatal police shooting at Freestone, outside Warwick. Tara Miko

The officers have not been stood down from duty, and are being supported by the police service.

Supt. Kelly said the investigation would be carried out by the Ethical Standards Command which will be overseen by the Crime and Corruption Commission.

It will then be referred to the State Coroner, he said.

"It is very confronting for our police and all involved," he said.

"We have three priorities at this stage.

"First and foremost (is a) comprehensive and transparent investigation.

"Second, to support the wife or the partner of the man that has passed away and their family, and also want to support the police, all the police, at the scene."

The property remained under police guard overnight and detectives returned this morning.

8.30AM: Police will this morning address media following the fatal shooting of a man at Freestone yesterday.

More details have emerged of the critical incident which left a 65-year-old man dead and triggered an investigation by the Ethical Standards Command.

In a statement released this morning, police said officers had responded to reports of gunshots at the rural property just after 4pm.

SHOOT OUT: Police were on scene at a Freestone property late yesterday afternoon and into the evening where a man threatening police and himself with a shotgun was reportedly shot by police.
SHOOT OUT: Police were on scene at a Freestone property late yesterday afternoon and into the evening where a man threatening police and himself with a shotgun was reportedly shot by police. Sophie Lester

Police searched the property and at about 5.15pm a man armed with a rifled walked out of bushland and confronted officers, the statement said.

"It will be alleged police attempted to speak with the man however moments later he directly threatened officers and police discharged their firearms," police said.

Despite officers performing CPR on the man until paramedics who were on standby near the property arrived, he died at the scene.

A 64-year-old woman at the property was not injured in the incident.

7.30AM: The Ethical Standards Command will investigate the use of lethal force by a police officer after a man was shot dead on a rural property.

The specialist unit from Brisbane will probe the death of the man at a Freestone property east of Warwick yesterday.

Officers from Warwick had responded to a routine call out at the Charley's Gully Rd property about 4.15pm Thursday when a man, believed to be a resident, began making threats towards the police.


 >> Police shoot armed man dead near Warwick

The 63-year-old man, armed with a shotgun, threatened officers before he was shot in the chest.

Paramedics were called to the treat the man but he died at the property.

The Crime and Corruption Commission will oversee the ESC investigation which will probe whether the man's death was a form of suicide.

The officers involved will be offered counselling and support from the Queensland Police Service while the investigation is conducted.

Serving police officers are required to undergo firearms training once a year despite calls from the Queensland Police Union for monthly training sessions.

The Police Powers and responsibilities Act states lethal force may include "force likely to cause grievous bodily harm to a person or a person's death".

However, such force can only be used after an officer, if possible, called "on the person to stop doing the act".

If this story has raised concerns for you, phone Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636.